Fraser Range – Rockford Project (Nickel-Copper & Gold)
The Rockford Project is located in the highly prospective Fraser Range district of Western Australia and covers a total area of 2,792km2 (Figure 1). The Project comprises a joint venture between Legend (70%) and Creasy Group (30%), with Legend operator and manager of the joint venture and 262km2 owned 100% by Legend. Exploration is targeting Nova-Bollinger style nickel-copper and Tropicana style structurally controlled gold mineralisation.
The Rockford Project comprises 12 contiguous granted exploration licences covering 2,792km2, located some 120km northeast of the Nova-Bollinger nickel-copper deposit. Importantly, the package covers a strike length of 100km over a regional gravity high “ridge” associated with dense mafic/ultramafic intrusive rocks of the Fraser Zone, within the larger Albany-Fraser Orogen. The Nova-Bollinger deposit, which lies within the Fraser Zone, is situated on a similar tenor gravity ridge to that of the Rockford Project, see Figure 2.
Legend acquired an extensive exploration dataset over the entire Rockford Project, which is constantly being added to by Legend’s activities and reinterpreted/interrogated to identify specific areas for follow up exploration. These high quality datasets include:
- Project wide high resolution aeromagnetic data at 50m line spacing
- Detailed gravity data over an 800m/400m x 100m grid, comprising 35,600 stations
- Aircore drilling with multi-element analysis of bottom-of-hole samples
- Detailed petrological descriptions of bottom-of-hole aircore samples
- Project wide soil and calcrete geochemical sampling over an 800m x 400m grid.
Exploration activities completed by Legend since the commencement of the JV on 23 September 2015 include:
- Project wide aeromagnetic interpretation
- 3D inversion modelling of the aeromagnetic and gravity data
- Moving loop surveys over 25 target areas, 200.1km2
- Fixed loop electromagnetic surveys over five target areas, 4.8km2
- Ten RC drillholes targeting EM conductors, totalling 2,266m
- Four diamond drillholes targeting EM conductors, totalling 2,652.1m
- Downhole electromagnetic surveys in six drillholes
- Aircore drilling 442 holes totalling 30,772m
- Detailed infill aeromagnetic survey, 410km2
- Detailed gravity survey, 10,294 stations
- Target selection and evaluation.
Future exploration programmes will involve regional moving loop electromagnetic surveys and regional aircore drilling programmes. RC and diamond drill programmes will be undertaken as required.